Sunday, March 7, 2021

St. Patrick's Day Oreo Mint Truffles



I've done a lot of baking this past 
year, 2021, I guess you could say:
"I am baking my way through the pandemic",
experimenting and trying difference recipes.



St. Patrick's Day is on March 17th.
These decadent little goodies
are easy to make, with minimum 
ingredients and are sure to disappear fast.
And they do freeze well.



Ingredients
1 package Oreo Mint cookies 303g
1/4 cup Cream Cheese Spread

1 cup Chocolate Chips
(or your choice of chocolate) for dipping.
3/4 tbsp vegetable oil. 

Candy decorations.
 
(Makes about 2 doz. truffles)


Oreo Mint Cookies, 
303g package contains 21 cookies.
I used 20 cookies.
 Someone ate one. 😁
 



I used about 1/4 cup cream- 
cheese at room temperature.
1/4 of the package below.

 I softened/mashed the cream cheese with a fork, 
enabling it to mix better with the crumbled cookie mix.




I crushed the cookies in a food chopper.
It can also be done in a 
zip-lock bag with a rolling pin.


With an electric beater, I added the 
cream cheese to the crumbled cookies mix.
and rolled the balls, approx. 1 inch.
Place the balls in the freezer for at least 1/2 hr.
This will prevent them from falling apart
when dipping.



For Dipping, 
I used 1 cup of Chipits


Melting the chocolate for dipping:

Because I used chipits,
I added 3/4 tbsp. vegetable oil with 
1 cup of chocolate chips.

I used the microwave for melting. 
The chocolate must be stirred at intervals 
to reach the right consistency
and to prevent burning.
A glass bowl is not recommended, because
 it gets too hot and cooks the chocolate.
Use a plastic microwave bowl.

First melt for 14 minutes and stir. 
Then 10 minutes, and stir.
Then 10 more minutes and stir.

Note, the photo below is from my Valentine Truffles,
that explains the white chocolate.
I wanted to show the tools I use.

Dipping takes some practice and can be messy.

Here's how I do it.
Dip the balls into the chocolate holding with a fork,
roll the ball around in the chocolate,
 tapping the fork on the side of the bowl, 
to help the excess chocolate drip off.
With a toothpick slide the truffle off the fork 
and onto parchment paper to harden.
If you are using decorations,
 do so before the chocolate hardens.



Another Irish treat,
click on this link to view.



My first experiment with  "Truffle Making" was with these

Chocolate Latté Truffles, for Valentines Day.
And I probably will be making some for Easter


Thanks for visiting my blog xo

Happy St. Pattys Day 

💚💚💚





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Thelma! These look so yummy and I love mint! I have made peanut butter balls using somewhat the same methods, but have always had a problem with dipping them into the chocolate. They often crumble and fall apart. I will certainly try this recipe and I will try the fork method. Think that will work a lot better. Thank you for sharing the recipe! :)

Veronica Lee said...

These truffles are so perfect for St. Patrick's Day! Yummmmmm!


Happy Wednesday, Thel!