Sunday, January 3, 2021

French Canadian Tourtière ~ Meat Pie

 Tourtière originated in Quebec.
Traditionally served at Christmas or NewYears
as a side-dish for the turkey meal,
also great served alone for lunch. 

A meat pie made with beef, pork,
 veal, chicken and sometimes venison or wild fowl.
Some hunters in my region add deer meat,
moose, rabbit and duck.



I made a basic recipe this year with beef and pork.
Inspired by two great French Canadian chefs,
Mme Jehane Benoit and Ricardo.com
I adapted this recipe which makes
4 meatpies in 8inch pie plates.

I bought a pre-made crust.
Made with whole wheat flour.
It didn't disappoint. It was
easy to work with and tastes great. 



Ingredients:

2 lbs. ground beef
2 lbs. ground pork
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves chopped
3 large potatoes cooked and cubed.
1 cup beef or chicken broth

1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sage.
1 tsp parsley.
Pepper and salt to taste.
(Any other spice of your choice)


In a large saucepan, soften the onions 
and garlic in 2 tbsp oil.
Add the meat and continue to cook 
for around 20 minutes, 
stirring to break up the meat.

Add the remaining ingredients 
and cook stirring frequently 
for about 30 minutes, or until
 all the liquid has been absorbed.




Cover and let cool completely.

Preheat oven to 375deg. F. (190deg.C)

Line 4  8-inch pie plates with pastry.

Fill the the cooled meat mixture.


Cover with the top crust.
Make incisions in the centre 
for the steam to escape.

With the oven rack in the lowest position,
Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour or 
until crust is golden brown.

We were only two people for the 
  New Years dinner this year. (2020) 😞
I usually cook for a crowd.
I froze 3 of the pies.
They freeze well.



Serve and enjoy!

Thanks for your visit xo.



4 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This looks AMAZING! I have never made a meat pie, but have always wanted to. I watch British and Australian TV programming almost exclusively and people are always downing meat pies. I am trying this one. Thanks, Thel!

NitkaDesign said...

Simply delicious:-)))
Greetings:-))

Veronica Lee said...

I've only tried the store-bought ones! It's about time I made some myself! Thanks for the recipe! Pinned!

" R y k @ r d o " said...


Aspeto delicioso que me deixou a salivar com vontade de comer uma fatia.
Gostei muito do seu blogue. Fiquei seguidor
.
Feliz fim de semana
Cuide-se
.
Pensamentos e Devaneios Poéticos
.