Saturday, April 24, 2021

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy.

 A great tasting meal that's easy 
to make and sure to please.



Originating in the United States,
this classic meal is a version of Hamburg Steak.
Salisbury Steak created by Dr. James H. Salisbury, 
a 19th century English/American physician. 
He created this special diet for his
patients suffering from anemia and 
a number of other diseases. 

For the steak patties

1/2 onion grated
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs,
(or soda-crackers)
1 pound ground beef
1 garlic clove
1 egg
2 tbsps ketchup
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Montreal steak spice.
or your choice of spices.
3 tsp dijon mustard or ordinary mustard.

Mix all the above together and form 5 patties.
If you find it too sticky to mix,  add more breadcrumbs.





Heat oil in a skillet and add the steaks and 
cook browning each side and 
continue cooking on medium 
heat for about 15 minutes.
Remove and place aside.


I use a splatter screen to avoid less mess.

For the Gravy

In the skillet with oil,
add 1/2 of a onion, chopped 
2 minced garlic cloves and 
about 1 cup sliced mushroom
 and cooked until soft.
I usually make my homemade
gravy with cornstarch and water
I wanted to use up this gravy mix I
had in the pantry. It is very good.
I used 4 cups of water and
about 5 tbsp. of mix.
I mixed it in a saucepan 
following instruction on the 
package, until thickened,
 and added it to the skillet.


Add the steak to the pan, add the gravy.
Season with salt and pepper and 
simmer about 20 minutes.



Serve with your favourite vegetables. 
Here I used Mashed Potatoes,
Oven baked mini frozen
Brussel Sprouts and
Carrots and Tomatoes.  
 

Enjoy!




1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This is one of my favorite dinners. I've even had them on bun the next day and they are so moist and delicious.