Sunday, October 22, 2017

Apple Jelly


Apples are in season
I am using my MacIntosh apples to
make apple jelly this year.
Their red skins 
 enhances the colour and flavour.

Ingredients:
9 pounds apples
9 cups water
6 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice


Wash Apples
Chop up apples in chunks
leaving skin and seeds.
(I remove the black end and any brown marks on the apple.)
The skin and seeds contain pectin
which help thicken and colour the jelly.

In a large pot bring the apples, 
water and lemon juice to a boil

Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Do not stir the apples,
(you'll have a cloudy jelly)
With a potato masher,
gently push down the apples
while they are cooking.

Place apples and juice in a jelly bag


or: a colander lined with at least 4 layers of cheesecloth 
 placed over a large bowl.

Let the apple mixture drain overnight or at least 5 hrs, 
without crushing or squeezing the fruit.



My contraption:
I hang the bag from 
the cupboard doors
and let drip.
I used 2 bags and 
one strainer with cheesecloth.
Or use a colander lined with cheesecloth.



After the dripping is finished,
measure the juice.
You should get about 8 cups of juice.

 If the amount of juice is different,
 count about 3/4 cup of sugar for each 1 cup juice.

In a large pot bring the apple juice and sugar to a boil
Simmer until a candy thermometer reads 220 deg. F.
Skim carefully while cooking.

I use these small strainers for skimming.
They work well.



Boil until it reaches the 
temperature of 220 deg F.
Or test for the jelly stage.

Fill sterilized jars.

After washing my jars and covers, 
I put them in the oven on a low temperature
and keep them hot until I'm ready to fill them.

Enjoy!
Delicious served with pork or lamb.
Great on toast or with a
 tea biscuit for an afternoon tea.




Thanks for visiting my blog xo


No comments: