Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Orange Cake










I made an orange cake for
 my sister Annie's birthday.

I adapted a recipe from an 
old Five Roses Cookbook.

Preheat oven to 350deg. F.

Ingredients

2 cups flour 

3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt


1/2 cup butter softened

1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. orange extract.
Orange rind of l orange.
1 cup milk.

Directions

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.





With an electric beater, 
mix the butter until softened, 
add gradually, the sugar, eggs and 
the orange extract, milk, 
and 1/2 of the orange rind


Add the orange rind
 

Grease the pan, line the bottom with
 waxed paper or parchment paper.
This cake can be done as a layer cake
  in 2,   8" round pans. 

I used my old tube pan.
The bottom comes out,  for easy removal. 
I have been using this many for many years.


Bake 350 deg. F.  for 50-60 mins. 
for one cake or
30-35 mins for 2 layer cakes. 
Or when a toothpick inserted in the middle,
comes out clean. 



Orange glaze

2 tbs cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
Few grains of salt
3/4 cup boiling water
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup orange juice
Orange rind
2 tbsp. butter.
2 tbsp icing sugar (confectioners sugar)


In a double boiler combine the  cornstarch, sugar, salt
and 1/4 cup of the water  and beat until smooth.
Add remaining water and cook until thick,  over boiling water.

Add a little of the hot mixture to the beaten egg and add to mixture.
Cook 2 minutes longer. 
Stir in remaining ingredients except the confectioner sugar (icing sugar)
Set aside to Cool, 
then add the 2 tbsp of icing sugar (confectioners sugar)

Spread over cake.












Markings on the bottom of the cups.
Johnson Bros ~Made in England.


enjoy...




Thanks for your visit xo

7 comments:

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Hello Thelma, your orange cake looks so delicious. I happen to have a bowl of oranges, so I shall be making this cake. Thanks for sharing at “Love Your Creativity.” Happy Wednesday.

Thelma said...

Thanks Linda.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Printing this out NOW! I bought oranges and then wondered what to do with them. I suppose I could actually eat them, but this sounds so much better. Thank you!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What is the baking time and temperature?

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

This looks so delicious!! Thanks for sharing.

I just wanted to let you know you are in my prayers, that you and yours will be safe from Dorian.

Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

Thelma said...

350 deg. F. for 50-60 mins. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Thelma said...

Hi Pattie.You will have to print it again. I goofed on this recipe. I also forgot to print, 1 cup of milk in the batter. along with the oven temp and time. I made the cake again today and I realized it. It is a good cake.