Saturday, March 19, 2016

Pure Maple Butter

Here in Quebec, 
Spring time, means maple syrup time.
Sap is collected from the maple trees
 and maple syrup is made.
Cold freezing nights and warmer days are 
a factor in the sap running.
Approx. 80% of the world's maple syrup production
 is made here in Quebec. 

From the maple syrup,
I made pure maple butter (or maple cream).
Great as a spread on toast, tea biscuits or scones.
The syrup is boiled to a certain temperature
then stirred into a delicious butter/cream.

The correct boiling temperature is crucial in the process.

This was my first time making it, 
so I made a small batch.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Directions: 
Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl or sink.
This is to put the syrup in after it reaches 
the correct boiling stage. 



Place a smaller bowl on the ice






 Pour 1 1/2 cups of Maple Syrup into a medium deep sauce pan.
Add 2 tbsp. corn syrup or 1 tbsp. oil. 




Heat on Medium Heat and boil - DO NOT STIR.
Beware it can boil over easily
Don't turn your back on it!.
Stay and watch it...


I didn't have a candy/sugar thermometer, as recommended.
I couldn't find one in the stores here.
I bought this digital "meat" one at Walmart.




My sister had this "Deep Fryer" one.
 We used both thermometers.
We stood over the boiling pot, 
hold our thermometers watching
 the temperature slowly rise.
It had to reach 232 deg. F...
They both had the same temperature.



After about 20 mins, 
 it reached the temperature of 232 F
I poured it into the ice bath, (the bowl with the
 ice under and around it.)


The pretty reusable ice cubes,  
I placed around the bowl;
came from Ikea.




After it cooled, approx. 30 mins.
It reached the temp. of 70 deg.F
I removed it from the ice bath and
started to stir it with a wooden spoon.
It was the consistency of taffy.



We stirred, stirred and stirred for approx. 30 mins.
My sisters Carol and Annie, helped me stir.
We alternated to give our dead arms a break.




After 15 mins. it started to change color and get thicker.


At long last, it became this creamy color and
 the consistency of peanut butter,
It was time to stop.



I filled 3 mini mason jars, 125ml
and I got to lick the spoon.


Maple Butter is great with these yogurt tea biscuits, 
click here for the recipe..



I served them at my Spring Tea, click here.to view.



It was worth all the time and effort.
I will definitely make it again.
Next time, I will try mixing it 
with a hand mixer.


Thanks for visiting my blog. xo



No comments: