Friday, March 20, 2020

Old-Fashioned Baked Beans





My Mom baked beans often
 when we were growing up, 
to feed our large family.

I remember helping to shell the different 
types of beans that grew in our garden.
Another favourite were kidney beans.
Beans are full of protein and fibre.






I use Thompson's pea beans for my recipe.
I bake them in bulk and they freeze well.
I freeze them in small containers and
have them for months. 
I have tried many recipes over the years,
and this recipe is my favorite.







I use the recipe on the package above,
omitting the brown sugar and salt,
and adding more molasses.

The recipe on the package is for 1 lb.
 of beans. I use the whole bag,
which contains 2 lbs., doubling the recipe.



Ingredients:
2 lbs. white pea beans
1 large sliced onion
4 tsp. vinegar
2 tsp  prepared mustard
3/4 cup molasses
1 cup low-salt ketchup
Pinch black pepper
1/4lb. bacon chopped



Instructions

The night before.
Rinse the beans.
Soak overnight or at lease 12 hrs.



Drain. 
Boil beans, on medium heat  
 in a large pot, covered with water,
 for 30 minutes, or until nearly tender.
(Beans will not become any
 softer when placed in the oven)

I like the bitter aroma in the kitchen,
 during beans boiling.
It bring back childhood memories.
My Mom made these often,
 to feed her large family.



While the beans are boiling 
I prepare my other ingredients.
Chop up an onion and bacon.



Preheat oven to 250 deg.F.

In a large measuring cup
add the vinegar, mustard, molasses,
ketchup, and pepper.
Before dumping this on the beans,
I add hot water to the top of the measuring cup, 
which thins and makes pouring out easier.


 

Drain the beans after 30 minutes of boiling.

Place the chopped onion in the bottom
of a roaster pan, a large bean crock, 
or a 12 cup casserole pan.


Place beans on top of the onions.
Add the measuring cup mixture
  over beans.

Place chopped bacon on top.

Add enough hot water to cover mixture.
Add any other spices you like,
I add some parsley.




Cover with lid and bake at 250 deg.F. for 7 hrs.
Check after 6 hrs., they could be done.


Stir the beans 1/2 way through.
Add more water is not enough.


After 7 (or 6hrs.) hrs.,
 I remove the cover
 and let bake 1/2 hr. longer.



they are soo good.....





Social-distancing,
self-isolation, 
new vocabulary, 
which is so important,
to "flatten the curve".

As the world is still,
stay positive, 
nothing lasts forever.
(I did this blog post in 2020.
Thankfully the Covid has eased)

Thanks for your visit xo

💚💚💚

1 comment:

windowtothebeauty said...

It looks very tasty :)) **